Sunday, April 11, 2010

Image Processing

Hey folks!

After a busy week I am back with a very new thing about photography, its image processing. Yes, many people does not know any thing about image processing, few did not even heard of it, and few have asked me, who have just heard that some term called image processing do exist in the amazing field of photography, so I thought to write about it.

Basically image processing is a very simple process, its not at all tough as it sounds, "IMAGE PROCESSING" or post processing or PP or image post processing, lots of names, mostly known as 'PP', for me its image processing, anyway,so its a process which is done on a raw photograph or a raw image, to make corrections, to remove red-eye effects, to add different effects, etc., in short to enhance the image, to make it look more good or more perfect by using some computer application like Adobe Phototshop or Adobe Lightroom, etc., thats the basic concept of image processing.

Lets get to know more about image processing. Firstly the correction of the image is done, as in color, contrast, brightness, hue & saturation of colors, shoadows & highlights, removing red-eye effect if the image includes any charaters, etc. are corrected according to the photographer, its how the photographer wants image/photograph to come out. Secondly I work on the tint of the whole image, if its required in a different mood or color scheme effect or any other things. Mostly used tints are sepia, black n white or grayscale, red, green, blue, purple, etc. Tint adds a different mood, effect to an image, it is done only if its required, or only if the photo demands to appear more good in the perticular tint, or else to just make a difference, it totally depends on the photographer. Thirdly I work on some minute things manually like if some elements in the photo needs to be more dark, then I use burn tool, if some areas needs to be highlighted more, I use dodge tool, also some other tools for sharpening/blurring areas. Finally, I cpoyright my photograph by adding a small text line in some corner of the photograph mentioning my name and year of its creation.


Now the above image is an example of image processing, for you to know what difference happens after this image processed. It includes two images, the upper one is the raw image or the image before image processing and the lower one is after the image is processed. As you can gradually notice the difference, I have firstly worked on its shadows, which brings a major difference, a then a bit on its colors, and then a bit on the sharpness of the bench and its edges, and VOLLA!! its done!.

Well this is how Image processing works for me, most important thing is, you, the photographer inside you must be satisfied. Alright then, let me know your reviews about 'Image Processing'.

Thanks!

Tanmay.

4 comments:

  1. It was a good read man. A nice intro to image processing. I am waiting for your article on 'Camera and how it works - technically for noobs'...kinda... to come up. I think it will help people understand what usually is ignored. just a suggestion. ;-)
    Thanks for the knowledge! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, cool! will cover Camera soon.
    Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tany, nice article. improve grammatical mistakes. I am also waiting for your article on general photography.

    ReplyDelete